Sunday, September 09, 2007

Molly Bloom's Birthday?

Are We Nuts but Isn't This Molly Tweedy Bloom's Birthday (or Was That Nora's Birthday?)?
...yes when I put the rose in my hair like the Andalusian girls used or shall I wear a red yes and how he kissed me under the Moorish wall and I thought well as well him as another and then I asked him with my eyes to ask again yes and then he asked me would I yes to say yes my mountain flower and first I put my arms around him yes and drew him down to me so he could feel my breasts all perfume yes and his heart was going like mad and yes I said yes I will Yes.

The ending of well, let's see, we consider it right up there way above every other writer's work this universe has produced, and that includes those ancient legends Shakespeare and Dante, though they weren't novelists, unless you consider Shakespeare's plays novels and Dante's trips to Hell novels, and hell they may be--and we are talking about Ulysses, the 20th century version of Homer--and Jimmy Joyce was blind, too; how convenient; and the above soliloquy is the end of that great work of word art--like we say, name another novel that...oh, but, hell, the evolution of culture is in the eye of the dumbass reader so you can't depend on readers to be able to name a novel that whips Jimmy's Ulysses's ass. They're liable to say the latest Harry Potter British woman dreambook is greater than Ulysses, and certainly its author has been so much more richly rewarded and awarded than Jimmy ever was, though Jimmy would have wiped his old shitty arse with the pages of any Harry Potter British woman's dreambook.

So if it is Molly Bloom's birthday, we say "Yes" to her, "Yes, yes, yes. Yes."

Molly was born on Gibraltar, a place Jimmy Joyce never visited. She was born Molly Tweedy. She may have had the same birthday as Nora Joyce the cleaning wench who Jimmy fell head over balls in love with and quite a love it was--some of the best love letters ever written are Jimmy's letters to Nora.
http://obits.eons.com/obits/tributes/james_joyce/8428-1-photo.jpg
Jimmy Joyce before Ulysses.

One Morning Off Spring Street Will Be Continued in Tomorrow's The Daily Growler.

In the meantime, lift a pint to Molly and James and Nora today no matter whose birthday it is.

theulysseseanstaff
for The Daily Growler

No comments: